Wednesday, August 1, 2012

You are what you eat

It seems the "eat less, move more" mantra is not quite as simple as that. This study found evidence for diet having more of an impact on weight loss than exercise. Specifically, making smarter choices, which involves consuming fewer processed foods, is what contributes the MOST to weight loss. That's not to say exercise isn't important (oh, you thought you would get out of going to the gym? Nope!) I have to say I think I agree with the study. Since I have been consuming mostly whole foods I have noticed differences in weight loss as well as hunger levels. Eating things that take my body more time to digest helps me stay fuller, longer. I thought I would share with you some of my favorite meals starting with my go to breakfast smoothie:
Mya's Breakfast Smoothie:
I really love McDonald's Mango/Pineapple fruit smoothie.
But at 220 calories for a 12oz cup (not to mention 49 grams of sugar) I think I'll have to save that for special occasions (Thanks McDonald's for having such complete nutrition info on your website). My substitution? I use my awesome Magic bullet to create a healthy, yet still tasty, alternative:
1) Fage 0% yogurt - 1/2 cup 2) NUTRIBIOTIC VEGAN RICE PROTEIN Vanilla - 1 heaping TBSP 3) Random assorted berries (whatever I've thrown in the freezer for the week: blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, snozberries...) 4) Crystal Light - 1/2 cup of whatever I've got mixed up in the pitcher Blend it all up for a breakfast that's good and yummers! For 3 WW PointsPlus it's a total winner (okay, maybe doesn't taste EXACTLY like McDonald's but it's cheaper and is much better for you - 35 grams of protein compared to McDonald's measly 3 is a total WIN). You could probably add Splenda or some other artificial sweetener to it but there's already some in the Crystal Light and I try to stay away from that as much as possible.

In my next post I'll talk about my other go to breakfast...Cheerios!

No comments:

Post a Comment