Sunday, March 10, 2013

Going the distance



My first event for March Madness was the Runnin' of the Green in downtown Denver on Sunday March 10th. And guess what, it was a 7K (not my typical 5K) so I was going for distance (but not speed, so much). That Saturday we had a big snowstorm with blowing snow and very chilly temps. Lucky for me (and the other 4000+ runners) Colorado can get kind of crazy with the weather - dumping snow one day, sunny and warm the next. That's what we got. But when my sister and I got there we just weren't feeling it. We decided even though we had signed up for the 7K we would just do the 2 mile Leprechaun Leap. In my typical "fool myself" fashion I started out saying "I'm just going to do the 2 mile, I'm just going to do the 2 mile" but when the turn around came up I was feeling really good so I thought, what the heck, I'll do the full 7K (4.35 miles). And I did! I allowed myself to walk most of it (and not at my usual race/walk pace but just a brisk walk). I jogged a little bit.

It was great and I felt awesome. My time was slow (15:11 min mile pace) with an overall finish time of 1:06:01 but I was okay with that because you know what? I went the distance.


No comments:

Post a Comment